Baron Wesemann - Committee Chair
FRAUD: Any intentional deception designed to unlawfully deprive The Utah Military Academy (UMA) of something of value or to secure from UMA for an individual a benefit, privilege, allowance, or consideration to which they are not entitled. Such practices include, but are not limited to:
• The offer, payment, acceptance of bribes or gratuities or evading or corrupting inspectors or other officials
• Making false statements, submitting false claims or using false weights of measures
• Deceit, either by suppressing the truth or misrepresenting material facts, or to deprive UMA of something of value
• Adulterating or substituting materials, falsifying records and books of accounts
• Conspiring to carry out any of the above actions
• The term also includes the conflict of interest cases, criminal irregularities, and the unauthorized disclosure of sensitive or personal information relating to procurement and disposal matters. This definition can include any theft or diversion of resources for personal or commercial gain.
WASTE: The extravagant, careless, or needless expenditure of UMA funds or the consumption of UMA property that results from deficient practices, systems, controls, or decisions. The term also includes improper practices not involving prosecutable fraud.
ABUSE: Intentional, wrongful, or improper use of UMA resources. Examples include misuse of rank, position, or authority that causes the loss or misuse of resources such as tools, vehicles, computers, or copy machines.
REPORTING FRAUD, WASTE, AND ABUSE: UMA employees have a duty to promptly report FWA or gross mismanagement to a supervisor or other appropriate administration official. Complainants should attempt to resolve the issues at the lowest possible level using command channels before addressing them to a higher level.
FWA Hotline: If you don't feel you can raise the concern to your supervisor of the next level in the chain of command, you can email your concern to email@example.com. This link will go to the board member who chairs the Audit Committee who will investigate any allegations for resolution.